Movie Review: Silent House (2011)

I am far from a 'professional' critic, and I have really no bearing on whether or not one should see a movie, however, I thought I'd start posting movie reviews... unsolicited.

This past Friday, I took the day off to hang out with the kiddos. Harley Quinn wanted to see Silent House with Elizabeth Olsen... I believe she is the younger sister of the Olsen twins for those who enjoy useless trivia. Not going to get technical, because honestly who cares? Most of those overly 'look at the information I know' reviews just make the reviewers look like pompous asses.

So, I grabbed my newly won free passes for Studio Movie Grill, threw the kids in the car and headed to the movies. After much arguing with Amber about the genre choice (she hates scary movies), I plied her with a frozen hot chocolate and we found our seats.

Now for the review part: I liked it for it's artsy cinematography. There were some really creatively shot scenes. Ms. Olsen is a very fun actress to watch, as well. The story line was predictable, but fortunately, thoughtfully portrayed, as it was lost on my little one. I did have to do a bit of explaining, but nothing that me squirm in my parental 'birds and bees talk' duty.

Would I watch it again? Probably not. It's not really a movie for the kids, either... but I was just glad she didn't demand to see The Lorax... yet, anyway. Without giving away too much, there is a sexually oriented plot twist that is suggested and thankfully not graphically shown... hey, I had the kids with me.

Bonus: It scared the crap out of the kids at some points, which is always fun for me.

What did the kids think?
Amber: "It was good."
Harley Quinn: "That was a good movie! I was hanging onto my mom's sleeve the whole time."

Comments